Live - Dance - Laugh - Discover - LOVE - Explore <> Dream it . It's my life .

The year ends today, in the month of May

How do I begin? A year I was absolutely terrified to start, ended so quickly in the blink of an eye. My first semester was rough. I faced a plethora of adversities I never would have imagined. I went through difficulties I'll spare you the details of, but gained so much from in the end. I had to make adjustments  to things I had no plans to adjust, and still don't even know how I did it.

I threw myself into every activity I could and got super involved in sports, school and church. I immediately found a home church and began volunteering in the children's ministry and found familiarity in the genuineness of these preschoolers that reminded me of home. Making friends isn't a difficult thing for me to do, but allowing myself to trust in them is. And because of this I will forever have 3 absolutely wonderful friends I would not have survived without.

Classes were easy for me and balancing them with softball came naturally as I have been doing so my entire 15 years of playing. I loved my professors and got to know almost all of them on a little bit deeper level than just sitting in class and leaving. The chair of my department immediately reached out to me and became a mentor to me that I am eternally grateful for.
People laugh at me when I say I love chapel as first semester I only missed 2; that were out of my control.
I like to block my first semester from my memory as so many unfortunate things almost outweighed the good. But as I said before, I gained a strength I had never found within me before.

Second semester rolled around, and I immediately took charge to the goals I told my family I was going to achieve. I had to get a job, move out of my room from first semester and into another, and bring my grades up.
A whole new type of balance was thrown at me and I struggled. I still was suffering to adjust. My new roommate and I clicked right away and she brought me into her friend group that soon became some of my best friends. I grew closer to some more than others but would not have made it through without them. Our little family had some seriously amazing memories and awesome times together I will never forget.
Given the circumstances, I had to rediscover myself all over again. I almost naturally and without even intending to, started pursuing my passions again and was happier than ever. If you know me at all, you know the top 5 things in my life are: Jesus, My Family, Photography, Coffee and School.

Without Christ, my life is meaningless. So many times, all the way even until the end of the year, I was alone. I knew so many faces, had so many friends, but always found myself lonely. Friends from home weren't really friends anymore and people at school were just friendly. Or so I convinced myself.
The truth is, Christ is my best friend and I never feel alone when I talk to him. In the car on the way to work, when I'm bored, when I'm tired, when I'm stressed, when I'm unsure..
My constant prayer throughout college was, "Lord, open the doors in which I'm supposed to walk through, and help me to see the ones I'm supposed to enter." And in that prayer alone, he opened so many doors I never even knew existed.

For one, writing for the newspaper. Writing is a passion of mine I could do for hours and when the staff of the Vanguard Voice so willingly welcomed me with open arms, I went full throttle. Seeing an article that I wrote be published, gave me a sense of worth and capability I knew I had; I just had to rediscover.
For two, being a barista. It sounds ridiculous, but coffee has shown me that when your hands feel empty, it gives you something to hold on to.

For three, getting back into photography. Somehow, my RA found out about my photography and how I didn't just used to do it for fun, but as a side job and she asked me to do a photo shoot for the RA's of Laguna hall. Of course I couldn't deny this opportunity, so I agreed, posted it to my blog that had gone untouched for almost a year and then the rest was history. Word got out and I was being asked by many for photo sessions. And I could not thank every one of you enough for helping me rekindle my love and desire to capture these moments for you.

For four, my family, my family- my family. I'm almost in tears as I write this. The ones who helped me with picking classes my first semester and filling in as mom when she couldn't, and the ones who let me so graciously be apart of their lives as if I lived with them. The ones who loved me from afar and sent me letters I was thrilled to open, and the ones who pay for it all..
My parents are everything to me. I love my sisters and don't know what I would do without them. I don't know what I would do without any of my family. I truly am grateful for all of you and love you all to pieces. Thank you for everything.

So, What's next? Well, if you've made it to the bottom of this story of mine I first want to thank you for caring enough to read it all!

As I currently am employed under Starbucks as a barista, my time there is going to be short lived. In January as the incessant hunt for employment begun, I applied for many jobs at once:
Starbucks was my first thought, the Krochet Kids International marketing team, Forest Home summer camp up near Big Bear and a full time nanny.
Obviously, I paid most attention to Starbucks and pursued them more than anything else and got the job. I heard back from Forest Home after getting hired at Starbucks and was absolutely thrilled.

Upon entering college, I knew I was going to be a camp counselor at FCA UCLA, but God had different plans. I prayed for weeks and honestly knew immediately that Forest Home was the correct option for me. So, June 8th I leave to be a photographer for family camp at Forest Home for 10 solid weeks.
My last day at Forest Home is the same day I have to be back at Vanguard for Frontline which is a Freshman welcoming/mentoring and transition program for the incoming class. We spend the week moving the freshman students in, showing them around Costa Mesa and doing outrageous events that I will remember participating in for the rest of my life.

Another door God opened for me was a very pleasant surprise. An email from Krystal Komatsu who is the program coordinator of the Communications Department asking me to interview as a student worker. Krystal is amazing and coordinates everything in the Comm department; not just events.
My job would be sitting at the front desk of the Comm department and answering to everyone who walks through the door.
Hopefully this job comes through, as it would be on campus and well paid for the rest of my time at Vanguard! How great would this look on Grad school transcripts and future resumes?
I also applied for a section editor position on our paper which would be a little extra money and on my own time.

So, as you can see- this year was absolute insanity. I would like to say there's nothing that I wouldn't change, but there are a few things regardless of how wonderful the second semester outcome was, that I would have changed.

I'm beyond excited for next semester and cannot wait for the possibilities it brings! I love pouring into my school and the people that share the same feelings as I do. There's truly nothing like the college experience: Finding yourself and your own beliefs, making your own decisions, being forced to do things on your own and choosing how you want to live your life.

I give huge credit to my parents who raised all of us kids so well and gave us a huge leg up on things I never realized until Vanguard. All of the times I drove home at 3 in the morning crying to be with family, all of the times I was absolutely terrified to make decisions I knew I had to and needed your guidance, and every single time I just wanted to hear your voices, you were there for me. I absolutely would have been a train wreck and would not have made it without your support, comfort and love all year. Thank you mom and dad for all of it. I love you both more than anything in the world.

Here's until next year!